To ensure learners have the knowledge and practical skills to enable them to instruct others in Moving and Positioning appropriate to their working environment
- Review relevant legislation; understand the role of the employer and employee duties with regard to these regulations.
- Be aware of biomechanics and ergonomics.
- Raise awareness of the anatomy of the spine. Review statistics.
- Demonstrate safe moving and handling practices, using the principles of biomechanics.
- Complete hazards analysis and risk assessments for moving & handling.
- Review controversial techniques & discuss why they are unsafe.
- Highlight effective teaching skills and documentation to be used when teaching.
Formative (activities). Summative (Test, Practical and presentations)
- Manual Handling Operations Regulations. Definitions Regulations 2 & 5
- A.A.R.R – Avoid Assess Reduce Review.
- Health & Safety at Work Act, Lifting Operations & Lifting Equipment Regs, Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regs. COSHH, RIDDOR
- Mental Capacity Act
- Use of Bed Rails
- Anatomy of the spine, Injuries Statistics and Causes over 7day injuries.
- Individual Capacity
- Lifting Considerations
- Base Movement, Basic Lifting and Team Lifting.
- Biomechanics and Ergonomics
- Controversial Techniques/Unsafe Lifting Practices
- Hazards and Risk Assessments T.I.L.E.E.O
- Case Studies for Risk Assessment
- Basic Principals for Practical Techniques
- Discussion of Equipment that is available and maybe of use in their work environment for safer Moving & Positioning.
- Manual Handling & Posture in & outside work.
- Review of Effective Teaching & Documentation.
- Techniques for Aiding People to Stand and transfer manually.
- Wheelchair Use (Where Applicable)
- Walking Frames and Commodes (Where Applicable)
- Trainer Assessment of Candidates.
- Use of Equipment appropriate to their working environment including: Hoists and Slings, Stand Aids, Rotundas, Slide Sheets, Handling Support Belts and Handling Slings. Turntable Discs, Transfer boards. (Follow T.A.R. Sheet)
- Techniques for Aiding People to come forward in a chair or on a bed.
- Presentations. (5mins in length done singularly or in groups) To ensure teaching skills are still in place.
This course is available in our dedicated Colchester training room, if you would like to book this course or request more information about doing a training session nearer your business please fill out the fields below